Friday 7 November 2008

My Nanna


One day ago my Nanna passed away.

It is difficult because I only really just started to get to know a bit more of her history. I already miss her.

Nanna's name is Elizabeth and is sometimes known as Betty. She originally came from, Portarlington, Ireland. She twice lived in England and later moved to the state South Australia where she spent the remainder of her adult years. Nanna married Timothy Garry, whom came from a neighbouring village back in Ireland. They met at a local dance hosted by the village that Nanna lived in.

My memories of Nanna...
  • She kept a pressed flower set and because of that I began a childhood hobby of pressing my own flowers between the pages of books.
  • Nanna grew strawberries and she used to let me have a couple each day for morning tea when I visited for the holidays as a child.
  • She had a collection of willow china. So now whenever I see willow china I associate that with Nanna.
  • I have a collection of postcards in my old photo albums that came from Nanna whenever she visited Ireland. The below postcard was the last bit of mail that I received from Nanna.