Friday 1 December 2017

Crystallization

© Melissa Gaggiano
My process of learning and design development can be described in one word – 'gleaning'. I learn how to do things from a wide variety of sources. Then I take that knowledge and use it in completely new ways.

Recently my eldest had been studying the formation of crystals. A fascinating topic. Talking to her about crystals, had me recalling an idea I had a while back – growing crystals directly onto my doll designs. It was a thought which lingered on the back burner. That is, until now.

After a little online reading and cross referencing what my eldest had told me about her crystal growing at school, I trialled my first bit of crystal growing. I made a sample doll leg and dipped it into the borax solution. Nearly a day later small rock crystals had formed onto the cloth. It worked, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Here's to the next big step in my design development.