Wednesday 18 July 2018

Loveo the Roller Derby Pirate

© Melissa Gaggiano

Meet Loveo! This Loveo design has an unusual story. She started out as a fabric pattern test (hence the lack of skin tone colouring and only making one arm and one leg). Afterwards, one of my kids asked if I was going to keep the doll. I told her that I would very likely recycle the doll filler for future projects. My daughter then said I should keep the doll, and because of that the doll is still here.

The doll was developed into a pirate themed roller derby athlete. With a very simple, obvious twist. Inspired by the fact that the doll was already without an arm and leg, the doll became what she always was, an amputee. I made a detachable peg leg (pirate theme), and for the amputated arm I used fabric that looked like a floral tattoo. Check out that knee-high quad skate. Don't you wish you had skates like that?

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano