Monday 6 August 2012

Girls Can Be Super

Illustration by Melissa Gaggiano

    Lately I have been wearing my Superman/Supergirl jumper and I have been getting quite a few responses from little boys.
    One boy in particular approached me at a park, wanting to know why I was wearing a Superman top when I was clearly not male. I explained to him that that Superman has a cousin known as Supergirl. The boy nodded his head and said "Oh yes! I knew that." He then ran back to his mum. Later I passed his mum and she mentioned to me that her son told her to get herself a Supergirl shirt.
    In retrospect I could have just said that girls can wear Superman tops too. What if Superman didn't have a girl cousin? It wouldn't have changed my desire to wear this jumper. I still would have been wearing a super top, because I am a super girl.