Monday 17 October 2011

Good Reads


    Today I picked up a copy of Frankie. I was pleased to see it so choc-a-block packed with inspiring and laugh out loud reads.
    I am also re-reading Sense and Sensibility, written by Jane Austen.
    You know, by saying this some people will probably want to throw books at me, but I think Marianne Dashwood is a bit of a twit. Her melodramatics are beyond ridiculous sometimes. In her warped sense of the world she will easily insult good people, and speak cruelly of her acquantances. But then shows an acute sensitivity to anyone making light of her romantic sensibilities. There are many times when she hurts Elinor's feelings by accusing her of no feeling simply because her sister prefers to take the cautious path in life. Elinor understands well enough that much damage can result in character iftoo exposed to the public. Marianne feels a life is half lived without absolute drama. Inevitably this sick pleasure for gratifying her absolute joy and heartache does lead to ill health, and near death, as she chose to not take good care of her own well being.
    And there you have it. That's what I think of young Marianne Dashwood. I cannot help but wonder. When Jane created this character, did she despise her? Was she based on someone she knew? A sister, perhaps?