Thursday 13 August 2015

Hybrid

© Melissa Gaggiano
    When I woke up this morning I did not know I would spend my day doll making. I fully anticipated a day of writing. But after a round or two of Solitare I realised that wasn't going to happen. So I turned off the laptop, pulled out the Sculpey and set to work, practicing doll sculpting [for which I am a complete noob].

    After baking the doll head, for which I'm rather proud of in a very rough, round about way [Hey, It's progress! You should have seen my previous attempt]. I then decided to practice painting the face. And while I was at it, why not give the new girl a body.

    Before I knew it I was holding my first ever hybrid sculpted-cloth doll. Something I had been wanting to do for such a long time. She's far from perfect, and there are a lot of things I would do differently the next time round, but I love this little draft. So much so I'll make her  a fifties dress and give her a name. She deserves it I think.


© Melissa Gaggiano

    By the way… Is it just me, or do you think the doll looks a bit like this lass?