Sunday 15 March 2015

She Sews, She Sews

My eldest wished to do some sewing this weekend. After some thought I designed a basic doll pattern for her. I let my girl choose her fabric, I cut the shapes, then came the interesting part…

    I taught a 6 year old to use a sewing machine. I imagine this task to be akin to giving a 16 year old driving lessons. Much like in driving, a sewing machine has a foot pedal rather like an accelerator. Well anyway, it all went rather well and in 2½ hours we had gone from no pattern, to a stuffed, long haired, long legged doll.

    As a finishing touch my eldest drew on the face. I am proud to say there were no tantrums… from either her or me. There was only one weird ghost moment when the sewing machine seemed to be going by itself [my youngest was hiding under the table and pressing the pedal [accelerator]. My eldest did 90% of the sewing herself. Fantastic!

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano

© Melissa Gaggiano