Friday 9 October 2020

Cricut Book Art + Yarn Rainbows



Living DIY means working with what's available. It's not always easy, and there are mistakes to be made but it is a worthwhile process because you discover just how capable you really are.

Sometimes the DIY way can be really hard work. So while I celebrate DIY ability, it also gives me an appreciation for the tools that are created to make life easier. More than a year ago I began creating video content. I learnt on the job – making classic rookie mistakes, and from those experiences I gradually developed better time management, and work aroundlighting techniques. I am a crafter and designer who has been applying those make-do DIY insights to my videography. Simply put I have used ankle weights to balance a leaning tripod for birds-eye-view content, as well as filming in the great, shady outdoors to capture the best possible natural light.

Those DIY video tricks I've learnt have helped me to become a better videographer. And now, in wanting to create better quality work, I am so very ready and relieved to finally head toward equipment upgrades. No more filming in bitter winds, and near-precariously angled tripods with ankle weights.

On the topic of tools that make life easier: One of my many creative passions is for paper art. As it has been with the videography, so it is with creating paper art, only with aching hands. Since the beginning of 2020 I have dreamt of working with Cricut products. So when opportunity to work with a Cricut Joy came knocking I answered the door. I quite enjoy working with my little Cricut Joy. It gives me more time, and saves my hands from the aches and the occasional blade cut. And I must say, when the Cricut Joy is operating I enjoy watching the little robot perform it's ballet, cutting and drawing across material.

{YouTube: Cricut Joy Book Cover Decoration}

As I embark on my journey with the Cricut Joy I have been documenting some of what I am making and learning. Part of living in lockdown means having sometimes limited access to materials. As a result I have discovered painters tape to be a very happy alternative to using contact when lifting and moving highly detailed Cricut stickers. 

Head over to my Cricut Joy page to see more of my related projects.



{Kidspot: DIY Yarn Rainbow}

If you're in need of a non tech based craft project I've got something for you. Head on over to Kidspot and check out my video content for weaving a rainbow. You'll be amazed at how simple this project is, while managing to keep you engaged for a few hours. Consider this project a gateway to loom weaving.