Sunday 2 August 2009

The Gwendo Bib



Okay! I've got something special to share with y'all. The other day I designed and made for my baby a lil bundle of baby bibs. Why did I do this? Well, firstly my bub needed more larger bibs and I thought the cost of bibs in shops was a bit much for such a simple design.

Instead, I made a pattern, bought 2 metres of knitted fabric (1 metre per alternating fabric colour/print), and sew on velcro. I was able to make 9 bibs with some scrap material to spare for another potential project.

A couple of the bibs were taken out for a test drive last night. Translation: the bub wore the bib. The bib survived.

I am going to share my bib pattern with you. It is a very simple design and can be sewn up by even the most amateur crafter.
Sewing Steps:
  1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric on CF Fold.
  2. Open out the two pieces you just cut, and place the pieces, with the wrong sides of fabric together.
  3. Plain stitch the two pieces together about 1 cm - 1.5 cm from the edge.
  4. Reinforce the edges with an overlocker.*
  5. Cut a small piece of velcro, about 2 cm from the velcro roll.
  6. Stitch the velcro pieces to the fabric where the X is marked on the pattern.
* Note: If you do not have an overlocker or are a more advanced sewing machinist, you can reinforce the edges of the bib by sewing in binding. If you do this I would suggest cutting a piece of knitted fabric that has a 3 cm width, by 97 cm length.