Friday 18 September 2009

International Women's Development Agency

Let me tell you a little known fact about myself...

In 1996 I participated in a production of an Australian Community Service Announcement. The CSA was for a non-profit organisation known as International Women's Development Agency (aka IWDA)

I was only 16 years of age when the CSA was filmed, (half my current age) and I remember that afternoon so clearly. That was the day I came down with the flu. It was also the day that I was involved in something important and also had the fit of the giggles for the most of the filming process. The only evidence I have left of that day is a letter of thanks from IWDA plus a screenshot of the televised CSA.

That is me, on the LHS (stage right).

Now, you might well be asking, 'what is it that the IWDA does?' Good question, now the IWDA already have a good answer:
International Women's Development Agency (IWDA) is an Australian non-profit organisation that creates positive change for women and their communities.*

Next question. So why does the IWDA support women? Simply put, the world is not always a balanced equal opportunity place. And often, in environments where education can be lacking there is a high degree of injustice directed at females. IWDA carefully  prepares programs for international women living in impoverished conditions, providing them with skills and a means to pass on their abilities and knowledge to help the rest of the community.

Looking at the IWDA website, I can see there are a number of different ways that Australian's can be involved in supporting these programs, whether it be through volunteer work, hosting a charity event or even bequesting, just to name a few possibilities. 

To find out more about IWDA you can visit their website:

* Quote referenced from the IWDA website - Home page.